Once a week, we gather stories about the media business, journalism, writing, publishing, and freelancing—with a Canadian focus—and share them in Off the Wire. Who needs a water cooler?
- St. John’s Telegram blasts sexist ‘trolls’ after backlash over feminism article [J-Source]
- What would journalists do if they could do journalism school over? [J-Source]
- Application deadline extended for the NMAF 2016-2017 Administrative Internship [Magazine Awards]
From The U.S. and beyond:
- 12 essential self-taught journalism skills [Journalism.co.uk]
- The 5 Biggest Shocks of Moving From Staffer to Freelancer [The Freelancer]
- Surviving Freelancing: Tips From Industry Veterans [Medium]
- Telling visual stories: Photography tips for journalists [Journalism.co.uk]
- Vice sends memo in response to CJR freelancer report [Columbia Journalism Review]
- How to Keep Your Cool When You Land an Exciting Writing Job [The Write Life]
- More than two dozen freelance critics and reporters have been let go by the New York Times [Deadline]
- Vice shows how not to treat freelancers [Columbia Journalism Review]
- Micropayments won’t save journalism [Media Briefing]
- Confessions of a former procrastinator: 10 tips for becoming a Time Management Master [Freelancers Union]
- How to Market Yourself Without Selling Your Soul [The Freelancer]
- How to Negotiate: The Tip No One Tells Writers [The Write Life]
Recently on Story Board:
- Getting out of a spin and back on track: A few years ago my freelance business was in a shambles. Due to a combination of circumstances (two hip replacements, too many travel gigs, a prolonged bout of pneumonia, and a mountain of volunteer work) my income had taken a nosedive. I was derailed, and in a spin. So I hired a business coach, Ella McQuinn, to help me get back on track...
- CMG Freelance members -- Get your own dedicated login to Lynda.com: Good news, CMG Freelance members: you’ve now got easier access to one of your union’s largest and most valuable professional development opportunities...