Once a week, we gather stories about the media business, journalism, writing, communications, and freelancing—with a Canadian focus—and share them in Off the Wire. Who needs a water cooler?
- 7 smart ways for freelancers to boost productivity [Freelance Hustle]
- On Labour Day weekend, ponder importance of unions, free press for our society [CWA Canada]
- Federal government eyeing new reforms to help precarious workers [Toronto Star]
- Nearly one in five British Columbians dig the gig over the cost of a boss [Vancouver Sun]
- Stop pushing student journalists to the side [J-Source]
- Trump insider David Pecker leaving Postmedia board of directors [J-Source]
- Precarious work a health threat for millennials [Toronto Star]
From The U.S. and beyond:
- 4 things writers need to know about fact-checking [Mediabistro]
- Erika Hayasaki on the reality of landing a big freelance story [Nieman Storyboard]
- Newsrooms are unionizing. What does that mean for freelancers? [Contently]
- How I broke into technical writing--and why you should too [Mediabistro]
- The Intern's Survival Guide [The Open Notebook]
- 10 tips to beat stress as a freelancer [Freelancers Union]
Recently on Story Board:
- CMG Freelance September update: Here are a few things CMG Freelance is working on this month, including the upcoming Level Up conference and the "Say No to Bad Contracts" campaign...
- The state of the travel writing industry: Full-time freelance travel writers are few and far between. Travel writing, said Mike Fisher, a former newspaper reporter, “has always been an aristocratic hobby to a degree,” but it is becoming more so as technology disrupts traditional ways of reporting and presenting a story...
- Join CMG Freelance and receive admission to Level Up conference in Toronto: CMG Freelance is offering full-conference admissions for the first eight new members who join our union for independent workers. A one-year membership costs $150, while the cost of conference attendance starts at $375...