The Canadian Freelance Guild is proud to partner with the Canadian Media Guild Freelance Branch, our colleagues in providing services to freelance communicators in Canada. CMG Freelance represents all freelancers who provide services to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
If you have freelanced for CBC in the last 12 months, you are eligible to become a member in good standing of the CMG Freelance Branch. All CBC/Radio-Canada freelancers are automatically covered by the collective agreement between CBC/Radio-Canada and CMG (You’ll notice that union dues are already subtracted off your invoice). Among other protections, our collective agreement outlines minimum pay rates for freelancers. Freelance Branch members are eligible to receive support negotiating contracts, run for elected office, vote in elections, access training opportunities, and more. Contact your Freelance Branch representatives to learn more.
To sign your CMG membership card, please fill in this form and you will receive your card in the mail.
Note: When you get to the drop-down menu for employer, select Freelance–CBC/Radio Canada. You do not need to fill out the Employee Number or Department Fields.
CBC Freelancers who sign up for a membership card between February 23 and March 12, 2021 will be entered to win one of the following prizes:
- $150 Gift Certificate for Henry’s Camera.
- Free enrollment in Pandemic University‘s spring semester programming (a $140 value). Pandemic University is a pop-up writing school for, and by, locked-down and quarantined writers. They offer a selection of affordable creative writing classes online. All CMG Freelance Branch members are entitled to a 25% discount on Pandemic University programming. Contact your Freelance Branch representatives to learn more.
- One of four Canadian Media Guild branded hoodies.
UPDATED CBC FREELANCER RATES AND CONTRACT INFO SESSION:
To learn more about whether you should be contracted as a Freelance Contributor or under a Freelance Specific Services contract, we have two articles on our website that explain the different contracts:
- Back to School: The ABC’s of CBC Freelance Contracts
- CBC Freelance Specific Services Contracts – Good Value or a Possible Minefield?
Stay tuned for an upcoming webinar and Q&A with Freelance Branch staff representative, Marianne Malo Chenard, CMG Freelance Branch acting president, Eva Voinigescu, and former CMG Freelance Branch president, Don Genova to learn more about what to look for and consider in your CBC freelance contract.
CMG Freelance Branch
If you have questions, please contact Acting President, Eva Voinigescu (she/her). Eva is a Toronto-based freelance writer and producer. She covers health and wellness, culture, and careers. She has freelanced for CBC Life and The Doc Project. She has a background in documentary film production, audience development, corporate communications, and advertising, and has a Master’s in Journalism from Northwestern University in Chicago.
POSTED IN: Uncategorized